Tuesday, November 9, 2010

ITALIAN--NOT SO MUCH....

I've been to Italy and I can honestly say I love the culture, food and scenery.  There's NOTHING like it!
 Hear that?  NOTHING like it.  So what do I mean?  I'm talking about all the non-authentic, poser american-italians.....especially the northern NY/NJ italians.  I mean- SPARE me.  Just because your grandfather's uncle's neighbor was half italian DOES NOT make you Italian, nor should you run around telling people you are italian.
I don't care if you have italian somewhere in your family--if you were born in America then you are AMERICAN!  I'm all about knowing your family tree so don't get me wrong...we should all be proud of our heritage but I'm talking about the individuals that try to portray what an italian should look like and they try to impersonate the nationality.  LAME!

For example--there is such a thing as "new york italians." They are the ones like "baddabing, fuggedaboutit," etc.  The younger guys will have spiked hair or "blow outs," gold chains, baggy clothes, sunglasses, fancy cars (which usually includes an italian flag bumper sticker or flag hanging from the rearview mirror).  They try to implement "italian traditions" by eating pasta, loving wine, listening to Frank Sinatra, eating canolis, etc.  The "italian-New York" weddings are even worse.  Its not just the weddings though, its any event.  I won't rant on about NY yet but any italian event in NY is the same old-same old.  Anti-pasta starter dish, penne al a vodka, chicken parm, then italian cookies and cannolis for dessert.
Then, to just confirm their italianness they throw out half italian words like pass the "regot" which means ricotta cheese to us english speaking people.  Or "motzerell" which means mozerella cheese.  Again, spare me.

The whole annoying thing is that a true blue, off the boat, sanctified Italiano would NOT even understand what we've done to their culture.  The only similarity is that they eat pasta as well.  The italian culture I actually very different than what we try to portray here in America.  The men are very forward in Italy and they wear tight jeans and they have curly hair mostly and they drive small compact cars and they love disco dancing and leather is huge there!   So what am I saying?  I'm saying that they would find all of you posers a freakin joke!!  Do you think a real italian would ever wear a shirt that said "kiss me, I'm half italian?" I mean they sell these shirts in little italy in ny!  Soooo authentic!  Yeah right!  Meanwhile a chinese guy is taking your money and laughing at what a sucker you are.  A real italian isn't going to wave the italian flag on their cars. Who are you trying to broadcast your nationality to?  Oh, you"re proud?  Of what?  Have you ever even been to italy?  Do you even speak a lick of italian?  My assumption would be NO!
Same with the girls--wearing tight jeans, high boots, big gold earrings and chains with long dyed black hair DOESN'T MAKE YOU ITALIAN!
The real italian women have typically curly hair, bigger noses, olive skin, and european fashions that we wouldn't dare to rock.

Stop posing its an insult to your heritage actually!

I actually know one fake italian american that took classes on italian so he could say he speaks the language.  He makes his own sauce and in college he was known as the New Yorker that was so authentic italian and could cook.  Soooo cliche and redunkulous!
Moral of the story-stop posing.  Look I have italian in my background so I truly am all about knowing your family history.  But do us all a favor and stop impersonating what you think an italian should be--its comical and extremely lame.  Enjoy the culture and all of the many other cultures that make up America.  That's what is so great about America--we all came from somewhere but let's not forget the country we are blessed to live in!  You are still American--why not wave an American flag?

No comments:

Post a Comment